When knee pain kicks in, it can limit our daily activities and takes a toll on our overall quality of life. However, you can relieve knee pain with these simple exercises and a natural remedy.
Before we dive in, let’s understand a bit about knee pain. Primarily, it’s a common ailment affecting individuals of all ages. It could be due to injuries, like sprained ligaments, torn cartilage, or certain medical conditions like arthritis, gout, or infections.
Simple Exercises to Relieve Knee Pain
To alleviate knee discomfort and increase flexibility, you should introduce workouts that target your knees. These exercises can provide strain relief and improve your stability.
- Leg Lifts: Start by lying flat on your back with one knee bent and the other straight. Gradually lift your straight leg about a foot off the ground. Hold for a few seconds before gently lowering it. Repeat the exercise ten times for each leg.
- Calf Raises: Stand on your toes on the edge of a step. Slowly, lower your body down, let your heels sink, then push up to your tiptoes. Repeat 20 times.
- Quad Clenches: Seated or lying down, straighten your leg, and tighten your thigh muscles. Keep it tensed for five seconds, then relax. Repeat this exercise up to 10 times per day on each leg.
For better results, engage in these exercises on alternate days consistently.
Natural Remedy for Knee Pain
Besides exercises, one tried-and-true natural remedy for relieving knee pain is Turmeric. This golden spice contains a chemical called curcumin with anti-inflammatory properties that can significantly reduce knee pain. You can incorporate turmeric into your meals or take it as a supplement following the advice of a healthcare professional.
To apply turmeric topically, make a paste with turmeric and olive oil and apply it to your knee, leaving it on for about 15 minutes before washing off.
Remember, persistent knee pain could be a sign of serious health problems and should not be ignored. Therefore, always consult a healthcare professional if your symptoms persist.
While knee pain can be debilitating, there are ways to manage it effectively. Simple routines like regular exercises, coupled with natural remedies like turmeric, can be quite beneficial. However, do remember to always consult a healthcare professional before starting any new health regimen.
- Mayo Clinic: Knee Pain Causes
- Healthline: Home Remedies for Knee Pain
- WebMD: Physical Exercises for Knees